Friday, January 4, 2013

Vintage, Greens and 2013

Hello 2013. I usually don't think much of the new year until I see friends/online stalkers start to write about their past year and their new year resolution. I saw post after post of how horrible of a year 2012 was and agreed. But then I really started to think about my year. from Jan 2012-June 2012 I was the same as 2011, but it was when I made the move to Northampton, MA and things seemed to changed.

By that point I was a year out of college, no longer living in my college apartment, had a "real" job and had spent the last year mourning my college days. When I moved to Northampton I think it hit me that I was no longer in college and it was time for me to start my next chapter.

I started an Etsy business selling vintage clothing. This is a very small collection (talking 25 items), but it keeps me busy as I go on hunts after work and on the weekends for new clothing. Chris even helps me, or more so discourages me from buying over the top 80's clothing. I have profited from that business, so even if I close the shop tomorrow it was a success in my book.

Green foods! Oh the power of the greens. I started trying (and loving!) more green veggies. Kale and brussel sprouts have become my favorites. Green smoothies have been my energy drink for the past few months and have given my skin this amazing natural glow. These smoothies usually consist of a combination of the following: kale or spinach, apples, bananas, strawberries, grapes (great sweetener) or pineapple or a combination, and sorbet, ice, or milk and water. What an amazing start to the day... seriously.

I have started to savor time with my friends. With everyone's schedules now very busy, and hours of traveling between us, it is now a once in a while thing to see friends from college or high school. The time we do spend together usually turns into weekend adventures, which end up being really fun and exciting... or sometimes we just lounge. Another couple comes to visit Chris and I often (once a month) and the past couple times we ended up sitting in a restaurant for hours after our meal talking. Last month, it was at the Green Bean in Northampton Center. A great little restaurant with fresh food. We sat around for a couple hours refilling our teapots and talking. The teapots they have are amazing in my book.. and I so badly want to find one like it (it's simple, just the Green Bean, but so cheerful).
On new years eve we sat around in a local burger joint (just happens to be called Local Burger ;-)) and indulged in great burgers, a few bottles of wine, and a three hour conversation. I never understood people who stayed at restaurants for SO long after finishing their meals, but now I do. Oh the wisdom time brings.

 Chris and I took some trips this year over weekends, which is so great. Getting out of the routine is important. We went to NYC a couple times, Philadelphia, Jersey Shore (his families beach house for a week), the Berkshires, Burlington Vermont, Saratoga Spring NY, trips to Boston and of course visiting our own families. I love experiencing the different atmospheres of different cities. Now to save money to make our next big trip outside of the US this year.

So... my goals for the new year include: finding a higher paying job that I LOVE with a lot of social interaction, moving to a large city (Boston or NYC preferably), pack my lunches the night before!, take my GRE's and to stop eating dinner in front of the tv. Oh and speaking of the TV make my next netflix pick something a little bit more constructive (is it possible with tv?) than Gossip Girls. I love the show and have been sucked in since the summer...and now that I am on season 4 I have to finish... but... it's tough to explain.

Happy 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment